Hazelnut and Chocolate Cake
I can’t resist any hazelnut cake. I find the taste of the nuts, especially roasted, highly attractive. I hope you will agree with me.
Torta di Nocciole l Cioccolato
- 300g (10 1/2 oz) hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 6 eggs
- 500g (1 lb) caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300g (10 1/2 oz) butter, melted
- 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
- 375g (13 oz) 00 (Doppio Zero) flour
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) bitter chocolate (at least 70 percent cocoa solids), cut into small cubes
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas 4. Put the hazelnuts in a food processor and reduce to a coarse flour. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar and baking powder until the mixture is mousse-like and thick enough to leave a trail on the surface when drizzled from the beaters. Gently but thoroughly fold in the melted butter and milk, then fold in the flour and hazelnuts, followed by the chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered and floured 25cm (10 inch) thick cake tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out dry. Leave to cool before serving.