- 600g (1 lb 5 oz) maize flour (or pre-cooked polenta)
- 3 litres (5 1/4 pints) water
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- If cooking quick polenta, follow the instructions on the packet.
- Bring the water to the boil, add plenty of salt, then gradually add the maize flour, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Incorporate all the flour without any lumps forming. Continue to stir until smooth and the polenta is starting to come away from the side of the pan, which should take about 30-40 minutes. Quick polenta should take about five minutes, but in my opinion does not have as much flavour. Mix the Parmesan and butter into the polenta to serve.