Green Beans Stewed with Tomatoes
This is a dish from the Neapolitan region, which is good just eaten with breads as a first course. We had it quite often in my family as a first course instead of pasta or soup.
Fagiolini al Pomodoro
- 1kg (2 1/4 lb) green beans, topped and tailed
- 4 new potatoes, scraped and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) olive oil
- 800g (1 3/4 lb) tomato pulp
- 6 basil leaves, shredded
- Salt to taste
- Cook the potatoes and the beans separately in plenty of salted water until tender. Fry the garlic in the oil for a few minutes, then before it starts to colour add the tomato pulp, basil and some salt. Cook for 10 minutes. Drain the beans and potatoes, and add to the tomato. Stir, leave for five minutes to allow the flavours to blend, and then serve.