Roast Chicken with Potatoes
This homely dish is known all over Italy. Chicken used to be a Sunday dish, but is now eaten on any day of the week. As this is an easy recipe, which does not require much preparation time, it is highly suitable for a weekday meal.
- 1 roasting chicken weighing 1.3kg (3 lb)
- 1kg (2 1/4 lb) medium-sized yellow waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 10 tbsp olive oil
- 20 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220 C/ 425 F/ Gas 7
- Clean the chicken and cut it up into 12-16 pieces. Put the chicken pieces together with the potatoes into a baking tray, and mix together with the onion and sprigs of rosemary. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the olive oil. Scatter the garlic cloves on the top and place in the preheated oven. After 20 minutes, turn the heat down to 190 C/ 375 F/ Gas 5. During the roasting time, turn the chicken and the potatoes over occasionally so that they eventually cook evenly on all sides. The potatoes should be golden and the garlic crisp after about one hour. Serve with salad.