Baked Stuffed Peaches
A typical recipe from Piedmont where peaches grow in abundance. You will need those lovely big ripe peaches with the yellow or white flesh (or you could use nectarines). This dish can be made well in advance as baked peaches are excellent cold, but not straight from the fridge.
- 4 ripe yellow or white peaches
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 macaroon biscuits (amaretti) crumbled
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp caster sugar, plus 2 - 3 drops vanilla essence, or 2 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/Gas 6.
- Cut the peaches in two and remove the stones. Scoop out some of the flesh from the middle of the peaches to make room for the filling. Mix the cocoa with the biscuits, egg yolks, 2 tbsp of the sugar, the vanilla and pine nuts, blending well. Fill the cavities of the peaches with this mixture.
- Grease an ovenproof dish and put the peaches in it. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes. Before serving, hot or cold, whip the cream with the remaining sugar, and serve next to the peach.
- This excellent dessert needs a nice glass of Mosacato d'Asti to go with it.