Fried and Marinated Courgettes and Aubergines
In the South, and particularly in Campania and Puglia, antipasti are almost always served with some pickled vegetables such as giardiniera or some fried and marinated vegetables such as these courgettes and aubergines. They make a delicious snack or accompaniment to cold roast meat.
- 2 aubergines, cut into slices 5mm (1/4 inch) thick
- Olive oil for shallow-frying
- 4 courgettes, cut into slices 5mm (1/4 inch) thick
- 1 bunch of mint, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- Blanch the aubergine slices in boiling salted water for one minute, then drain and pat dry (this prevents them absorbing too much oil when they are fried). Heat some oil in a large frying pan and fry the aubergines and courgettes in batches until brown on each side. Put them in a dish, sprinkle with salt, then add the mint, olive oil, vinegar and garlic. Mix well and leave to marinate for at least two hours.