Roast Rabbit with Potatoes
Rabbit meat is similar to chicken in that it is tender and white. It will usually need some additional flavours to make it more interesting: onion and rosemary are ideal.
Coniglio Arrosto con Patate
- 1 young rabbit weighing about 1kg (2 1/4 lb) when cleaned, cut into chunks
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- Seasoned plain flour for coating
- 100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) dry white wine
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 1.3kg (3 lb) small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F/ Gas 6.
- Put the olive oil into a large casserole dish, and heat. Coat the rabbit pieces in seasoned flour, and shake off the excess. Fry in the oil until brown on all sides. Deglaze the pan with the wine, then add the onions, potatoes and rosemary, along with some salt and pepper. Cover, put into the preheated oven, and cook for 30 minutes. Give everything a good stir around, then put back in the oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until you see the edges of the potato starting to brown.